One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of travelling over snow on skis, especially as a sport or recreation. Competitive skiing falls into two categories: Nordic (cross-country racing and jumping) and Alpine (downhill or straight racing, and slalom racing round a series of markers).
- ‘Eddie chose jumping because it was cheaper than any other form of skiing and because as a child he had wanted to be a stunt man.’
- ‘Being in the Rockies meant she could indulge her love of skiing, mountain biking and rugged living.’
- ‘He has never been much of a fan of downhill skiing, an experience he likens to attending a football match.’
- ‘Sun Valley's strengths are not just its great skiing and feeling of remoteness, but its history.’
- ‘We'll stay in Oslo for a few days and then head up to a cabin in the mountain to try cross-country skiing.’
- ‘A leisurely lunch followed by an afternoon's skiing is an experience that is truly hard to beat.’
- ‘They were confident even then, and it was obvious that the pair were extremely dedicated to their skiing.’
- ‘Wanderers will play tonight's game in the shadow of one of the most famous slopes in downhill skiing.’
- ‘I think I've got all my energy back, and my skiing is better than it was a few weeks ago.’
- ‘After all, skiing is an energetic pastime, one in which people laugh, shout and fall over a lot.’
- ‘This is the time to go walking or horse-riding in the fresh mountain air or skiing on the Hintertux glacier.’
- ‘In fact she had found skiing quite easy on her first try out on the dry slope at Sheffield.’
- ‘He played squash, football and rugby and, in more recent years, enjoyed skiing and sailing.’
- ‘Snow usually falls amid high winds, meaning that skiing is impossible while it is actually snowing.’
- ‘The skiing was great but the town and resort were disappointing and not very friendly.’
- ‘Other countries also believed that skiing offered more than mere exercise and sociability.’
- ‘The maps aren't as big and skiing has been added as a key you can hold and not just a peculiarity of the maps.’
- ‘Each has some sensational skiing and boarding, and can easily be reached from an Alpine airport.’
- ‘If the beginnings of sport on skis are to be found among the upper crust, skiing is today largely a bourgeois sport.’
- ‘Now I'm just going to relax, go free skiing, do one more Europa Cup in Italy, and then go to Turin.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.