One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A run-down part of a town frequented by vagrants and alcoholics.
- ‘If pornography is downtown on skid row, respectable people can pretend that they don't even know it's there.’
- ‘Some crushed aluminum cans for proper accessorizing and we'd have the complete skid row ensemble.’
- ‘Indeed, if it weren't for George Pal's dancing dysentery factory, this movie would be one long seminar on skid row economics.’
- ‘We're introduced to Loretta in Rescue Me, a film about the estimated 10,000 homeless people living on Los Angeles' skid row.’
- ‘Back when Borello first moved to Alberta Street, it was a skid row lined with boarded-up storefronts and seedy bars.’
- ‘Sights like this are common on L.A.'s skid row, a rock-bottom depository and national embarrassment.’
- ‘On a Washington skid row, eyeless bums peddle the newest nose candy.’
- ‘That's because we no longer see advertising as the skid row of pop culture, the place where celebrities who can't do anything else end up.’
- ‘Sure, the low budget set designs betray the skid row mindset inherent in the film's creation.’
- ‘Elliot, meanwhile, had almost been on skid row with alcoholism.’
- ‘Set in a skid row hotel, Vacancy focuses on the chance meeting of a suicidal young punk and a garrulous tavern lifer.’
- ‘This is not the only place on skid row where business thrives in Porta-Potties.’
- ‘From an educated viewpoint, he told me all about the horrors of skid row.’
- ‘Grimy back alley flophouses, squalid arcades lined with girlie nickelodeons and a neon-lined skid row lend the picture an air of authenticity.’
- ‘Here the Boulevard was a skid row of motels, shabby apartments, sad souvenir stands, pornography stores, and pawn shops.’
- ‘His magic/hypnosis/disgruntled loser act is wearing thin on local independent television stations around skid row.’
- ‘But eventually the affect of the integration will greatly raise the property values along the skid row, and lead to huge change in the area.’
- ‘Their skid row operates 24 hours; its cycles are tied to county checks and busy shelter kitchens.’
- ‘Los Angeles has the largest skid row in the nation, stretching across 50 square blocks.’
- ‘He's also on call at the City Hospital in the event that the police drag in any skid row denizens on their last wobbly legs.’
- ‘I'm not going to be one of those guys who is on skid row at 40.’
- ‘After his business had failed and he had served time in prison for embezzlement, he died in a skid row hotel.’
- 1.1 A desperately unfortunate or difficult situation.‘with no money to spend, the club are on skid row’
- ‘Anyway, a few sex shops are left on skid row and one of them, The Exclusive Shop, has a video theatre upstairs.’
- ‘Who wants to hit rock bottom, derelict, skid row, with no friend or family or home?’
- ‘Alcohol, libation to the deity and old social lubricant, also greases the slide to skid row.’
- ‘Fantastic news but obviously buries the fact that her solo career had completely died and she was now on skid row as far as her career was concerned.’
1930s: alteration of skid road.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.