Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Trousers worn for skiing.
- ‘She went to the hall closet and pulled out her heavy ski jacket, ski pants and boots.’
- ‘You start the day with sweaters and ski pants.’
- ‘Women on the gender-segregated runs are allowed to strip down to parkas and ski pants instead of wearing their usual ankle-length robes.’
- ‘If you are still clinging to polyester ski pants and an old knit, long sleeved, bike jersey as your race suit, consider Lycra.’
- ‘It is amazing what the Dynafit engineers placed in a package weighing less than your ski pants.’
- ‘I bought an electric-blue, down-filled Fera puffed jacket and paired it with black stretch boot-leg ski pants.’
- ‘The day of the party promises mittens and hats, mufflers and ski pants, toboggans and sleds.’
- ‘That dream became a reality in early 1997, after Sullivan received a pair of ski pants from a friend who had just returned from the French Alps.’
- ‘Eric was wearing long johns, leather boots, ski pants, a vest, a fleece hat, gloves, and a down jacket.’
- ‘You wore a lot of tartan checked ski pants around winter 1986.’
- ‘For a swift kick in the ski pants, sip the Sledgehammer espresso blend.’
- ‘Better to hire someone, and since I'd rather buy snazzy new ski pants than pay an instructor, the lessons have been few.’
- ‘I grabbed a gray hat from one friend, a blue coat from another and a red scarf and hot-pink ski pants from a third.’
- 1.1Women's trousers imitating a style of these, made of stretchy fabric with tapering legs and an elastic stirrup under each foot.
- ‘She is wearing a figure hugging white bodice and tight ski pants which perfectly show off her dancer's figure and dark colouring.’
- ‘When last seen, Imelda was wearing leopard-skin ski pants, a white jumper, blue denim jacket and black shoes.’
- ‘Wool blend knickers and ski pants are nonskid, as is pile fabric.’
- ‘‘Oh, and look at that,’ he said, elbowing me and nodding toward a woman wearing tight ski pants.’
- ‘Bloc comes in a chi-chi little silver canister slim enough to pocket without spoiling the line of your Ralph Lauren second-skin ski pants.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.