One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Trousers worn for skiing.
- ‘Better to hire someone, and since I'd rather buy snazzy new ski pants than pay an instructor, the lessons have been few.’
- ‘That dream became a reality in early 1997, after Sullivan received a pair of ski pants from a friend who had just returned from the French Alps.’
- ‘If you are still clinging to polyester ski pants and an old knit, long sleeved, bike jersey as your race suit, consider Lycra.’
- ‘It is amazing what the Dynafit engineers placed in a package weighing less than your ski pants.’
- ‘You start the day with sweaters and ski pants.’
- ‘For a swift kick in the ski pants, sip the Sledgehammer espresso blend.’
- ‘Eric was wearing long johns, leather boots, ski pants, a vest, a fleece hat, gloves, and a down jacket.’
- ‘The day of the party promises mittens and hats, mufflers and ski pants, toboggans and sleds.’
- ‘I bought an electric-blue, down-filled Fera puffed jacket and paired it with black stretch boot-leg ski pants.’
- ‘She went to the hall closet and pulled out her heavy ski jacket, ski pants and boots.’
- ‘Women on the gender-segregated runs are allowed to strip down to parkas and ski pants instead of wearing their usual ankle-length robes.’
- ‘You wore a lot of tartan checked ski pants around winter 1986.’
- ‘I grabbed a gray hat from one friend, a blue coat from another and a red scarf and hot-pink ski pants from a third.’
- 1.1 Women's trousers imitating a style of these, made of stretchy fabric with tapering legs and an elastic stirrup under each foot.
- ‘‘Oh, and look at that,’ he said, elbowing me and nodding toward a woman wearing tight ski pants.’
- ‘She is wearing a figure hugging white bodice and tight ski pants which perfectly show off her dancer's figure and dark colouring.’
- ‘Wool blend knickers and ski pants are nonskid, as is pile fabric.’
- ‘When last seen, Imelda was wearing leopard-skin ski pants, a white jumper, blue denim jacket and black shoes.’
- ‘Bloc comes in a chi-chi little silver canister slim enough to pocket without spoiling the line of your Ralph Lauren second-skin ski pants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.