Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A small powerboat used for towing waterskiers.
- ‘H2O Entertainment is producing a 14-minute show for South Bank which involves one ski boat, 2 x jet skis and 6 firework pontoons.’
- ‘The lake has several marinas where you can rent ski boats, water scooters, patio boats, and the like.’
- ‘We were met at the harbour by one of the lodges ski boats and after a thirty-minute buzz across the channel, we were there.’
- ‘Nigel Duncan was riding on a rubber ring being towed by a ski boat on the Hawkesbury River near Sydney when it was propelled too close to the bank and ploughed into a boat.’
2South African A boat with an outboard motor, designed for offshore angling.
- ‘A flotilla of 30 ski boats will spend the weekend fishing in the city's three proclaimed reserves.’
- ‘We went down to the end of the dock to look into the fish hold in the ski boat.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.