Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A roughly drawn map that shows only basic details.
- ‘I find it useful to use both published and students' sketch maps (often in conjunction with photographs) as part of the planning and drafting process.’
- ‘The way they transform these cognitive images into hand-drawn lines in sketch maps is central to the approach.’
- ‘Part of their work consisted of drawing sketch maps showing the locations where game animals were captured.’
- ‘Only occasionally have they converted these cognitive orientations into sketch maps for use in their daily lives.’
- ‘This chapter has excellent descriptions of important specimen-producing sites and a wide assortment of color photographs and geologic sketch maps.’
- ‘I will refer to the accompanying sketch map throughout my description of the situation.’
- ‘As you go around, mark every feature you find on a large sketch map of the water.’
- ‘There's a sketch map of the world indicating time zones.’
- ‘By the end of the third workshop, most participants could easily draw sketch maps and read standard cartographic sheets and air photos.’
- ‘Villagers in the Philippines drew over 40 sketch maps of mangrove and coral reef habitats on top of base maps.’
- ‘A sketch map in the front of the booklet guides the reader to the sites of the articles.’
- ‘The sketch maps resulting from these scientific encounters, however, are rarely used to produce standardized maps.’
- ‘Locations of the 40 sites from which we removed eggs were recorded on sketch maps, and eggs were photographed with a Polaroid camera.’
- ‘The project relied on teamwork, the collection of toponyms, the drawing of sketch maps, and the interpretation of air photos.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.