One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually with negative The smallest bit.‘there's not a skerrick of food in the house’
small portion, small piece, piece, portion, segment, section, partView synonyms
- ‘There is not a skerrick of hope of a solution in this bill - not a hope in Hades.’
- ‘No amount of consultancy reports will make one skerrick of difference.’
- ‘There is not a skerrick of evidence that that will happen.’
- ‘They finished looking and left disgruntled having not found a skerrick.’
- ‘Nobody has ever heard of that member over there doing any work at all - not a skerrick of work.’
Early 19th century: of unknown origin. The word is also recorded as an English slang term meaning ‘halfpenny’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.