One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A key designed to fit many locks by having the interior of the bit hollowed.
- ‘Taking the skeleton key, she unlocks their door, and sets them free.’
- ‘Grace had the skeleton key, she took the courtesy of getting it for our personal delivery man last night after everyone left!’
- ‘But why does the skeleton key not open a door in the attic?’
- ‘She is sure glad that she holds the skeleton key with her.’
- ‘Jade had an old skeleton key that looked centuries old.’
- ‘He opened the door and was through in seconds, the skeleton key safely back in his wrist pouch.’
- ‘A few seconds later she came back with a skeleton key.’
- ‘After explaining that the house has a few ghosts, Violet gives Caroline a skeleton key that opens every door.’
- ‘He slid a skeleton key into the lock, and eased the door open.’
- ‘The crook at the Manchester University campus had been using skeleton keys to raid drinks machines across the UK.’
- ‘This is a skeleton key so it can open any door in this place.’
- ‘By means of a skeleton key, I let myself into any house when the owners happen to be absent.’
- ‘Officer Humphrey put the skeleton key into the lock in order to get the door open.’
- ‘Fitting the skeleton key into the keyhole, Dunstan pushed the door open, and looked around the small room perfunctorily.’
- ‘She tells Caroline to never go in the attic, but gives her a skeleton key that will open every door in the house.’
- ‘Shoving a massive skeleton key under the brass latch, she unlocked a door and stepped aside.’
- ‘Taking a sharp breath in, she opened the package and found a heart shaped locket key chain with a skeleton key.’
- ‘All the doors in the house opened by the same old-fashioned skeleton key.’
- ‘Armed with a skeleton key that unlocks every door, she discovers a hidden attic room that holds a deadly and terrifying secret.’
- ‘Sliding his hand into his front pocket, he retrieved a midnight black skeleton key and inserted it swiftly into the keyhole, turning the key promptly and letting the gateway swing open gracefully.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.