Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for schedule
- ‘I'm just going to print off the TV sked from here and stick it on the fridge.’
- ‘Though we live in different cities, Sinjun and I talk occasionally, despite hectic skeds filled with torturous school and socializing.’
- ‘I also have more stuff to promote now than I did a few years ago, and my travel sked is getting fairly flypapery as well.’
- ‘Good trip - I left Portland's Union Station exactly on sked, 4: 45 pm on Wednesday May 7th.’
- ‘Both myself and the organizers overlooked it when we proofread the sked.’
- ‘his wife was skedded to appear with him’short for schedule
- ‘The star singer-songwriters were recently skedded to appear together in a photo shoot for a magazine cover.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.