One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of cross-country skiing in which the skis are pointed outwards and the skier alternately pushes off one and glides on the other in a motion similar to ice skating.‘in many areas skate skiing has overtaken classic skiing in popularity, but the learning curve is steep’Compare with classic skiing
- ‘From your base at the swanky Sun Mountain Lodge, you'll start with morning yoga, then hit the snow for instruction in classic and skate skiing.’
- ‘With 30 km groomed daily for classic and skate skiing, over 1,400 acres of varied terrain satisfies beginners through experts.’
- ‘Those more inclined toward nordic kick-and-glide or skate skiing can get a workout on the Maples Nordic Loop.’
- ‘Inline skating, Nordic (cross-country) skiing and skate skiing are surefire ways to create definition in your buns and legs.’
- ‘Calories burned per hour inline skating, 464; Nordic (cross-country) skiing, 557; skate skiing, up to 829.’
- ‘We groom them for skate skiing, and a few trails are also tracked for diagonal stride.’
- ‘The motion of parallel cross-country skiing is an excellent butt-buster, but if you're looking for an even better load for your glutes, try skate skiing.’
- ‘Now, Jackrabbit's legendary trail has since linked up with numerous skiing trails, including Le Parc Linear, a 220 - kilometer rails-to-trails pathway linking a series of French-Canadian small towns, groomed for classic and skate skiing.’
- ‘Although stride and glide skiing will get you where you want to go, skate skiing is the most efficient technique.’
- ‘She hits the weight room twice a week to build upper-body strength for skate skiing, her new favorite winter sport.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.