One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjectiveskankiest, skankierNorth American
(especially of a person) dirty and unpleasant.‘the skanky folk who populate LA's film scene’
unpleasant, disagreeable, disgusting, distasteful, awful, dreadful, horrible, terrible, vile, foul, abominable, frightful, loathsome, revolting, repulsive, odious, sickening, nauseating, nauseous, repellent, repugnant, horrendous, hideous, appalling, atrocious, offensive, objectionable, obnoxious, unpalatable, unsavoury, unappetizing, off-putting, uninviting, dirty, filthy, squalidView synonyms
- ‘You will end up wearing jeans, a hideous fleece and skanky trainers every day.’
- ‘Take away my front teeth, put me in a skanky robe and nasty slippers and I would be a great candidate for an episode of Jerry Springer.’
- ‘He sat on down on the skanky couch they'd stolen from a skip, and lit two cigarettes.’
- ‘When living out of a backpack for three weeks, it's easy to become confused - a new home every couple of nights, trying to separate skanky clothes from clean, the ever-growing stash of souvenirs.’
- ‘I slept and stayed in the drug addict's ward with the rest of the skanky addicts, but the whole adolescents building, including the mental ward, had lunch in the same hall so that they could ‘socialise’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.