One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of fast popular music having a strong offbeat and originating in Jamaica in the 1960s, a forerunner of reggae.
- ‘There are 30 young acts performing music ranging from punk to hip hop and ska to salsa.’
- ‘The new material sounded good and, with a lot of emphasis on ska rather than punk, the album is something to look forward to.’
- ‘The singer's whining vocals grate, and a bit more ska and a bit less rawk would be a vast improvement.’
- ‘Their engaging songs ranging from ska to punk to grunge.’
- ‘And as much as it is very popular music, people still haven't got a clue what ska is.’
- ‘Adventurous interpretations of ska and reggae rhythms are an important part of their formula.’
- ‘The world of ska and reggae has always been arcane and alien to those outside it.’
- ‘It is strange to think of all these Cherubic looking children being into punk rock and ska but they were.’
- ‘The whole concept of Californians playing rock steady and ska just seems plain wrong, but that is what the band consider their strength.’
- ‘Suddenly I feel a great urge to put on a pork-pie hat and do some ska dancing.’
- ‘It's an eerie, twisted ska track with Jon's vocals reverberating across the top.’
- ‘There were quite a few bands doing ska and reggae rhythms with a punk rock attitude and punk rock music.’
- ‘You all know that I'm first and foremost a punk and metalhead, but being a deeply eclectic type I also love reggae and ska.’
- ‘It fused reggae, ska and rockabilly in a multicultural rant against poverty and discrimination.’
- ‘I hate the Montreal music scene because it has ska bands and ska bands are monotonous.’
- ‘To all but a few enlightened purists, ska equals white people playing reggae embarrassingly fast.’
- ‘The heart of the Fat Freddy sound is reggae, from ska through to dub, to which they add subtle hints of house music.’
- ‘This loveable rascal is probably best known for the Jamaican ska beat that is the signature of much of his song-writing.’
- ‘Everyone always described the band as a cross between ska and punk rock.’
- ‘As an original finale, they combined an Irish jig with ska which was infectiously received.’
1960s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.