Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very small size of women's clothing, especially a US size equivalent to a UK size 4.
- ‘"So what if a model is size zero?"’
- ‘"The problem now is that girls want to be a size 2 or worse, size zero," Lerner said.’
- ‘"I call them the ' size zero girls,'" Wright says, " because they really do wear size zero.’
- ‘"I am a size zero, and I consider myself a real woman."’
- ‘"In Hollywood, women have to be size zero," she explains.’
- ‘I'm aware that neither do I have Shilpa Shetty's figure nor do I have to advocate size zero.’
- ‘I haven't been a size zero in forever either.’
- ‘I was a size zero.’
- ‘The models you are used to seeing wear anything from a size two to a size zero, Stacy Nado is a size 10.’
- ‘According to the survey, six out of 10 women think "size zero" is attractive and 97 per cent think size 12 is fat.’
- ‘Jennifer, who appeared much slimmer in a recent ad campaign, fumed, "Size zero doesn't make you beautiful."’
- ‘"If only I'd been a size zero."’
- ‘They're not a size zero, and they're not sorry about it.’
- ‘Eva Longoria has laughed off rumours she is pregnant, claiming that even after putting on a few pounds she is " still a size zero ".’
- ‘In the fashion world, "size zero" appears for the first time, as does " man-bag ".’
- ‘"It just goes to show that you don't need to be a size zero to get the good work," said Miss Renton.’
- ‘So when Baroness Kingsmill published her interim report on the Model Health Inquiry yesterday, I was not surprised to yet again see zero action on size zero.’
- ‘The current trend for actresses and models to be a tiny "size zero" was " unbelievably disturbing ", Kate Winslet said yesterday.’
- ‘Those with 26 and 28 inch waists will also be classed as the male equivalent of a female size zero and will not be allowed to take part.’
- ‘I don't think politicians should get involved in the debate on size zero in fashion.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.