One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person's buttocks.‘the bedspring tattooed waffles all over my Sitzfleisch’
buttocks, behind, backside, rear, rear end, seat, haunches, cheeksView synonyms
- ‘It's a lot to ask of the sitzfleisch, after all.’
- ‘I proudly expand my back-end, month by month, year by year, adding layers of lovely sitzfleisch.’
- ‘But when the sitzfleisch touched the piano bench, then the air of authority was justified, and then the raw nerve of artistic sensitivity was uncovered.’
- 1.1 Power to endure or to persevere in an activity; stamina.‘I was given tasks which required lots of Sitzfleisch, but didn't offer much excitement’
perseverance, tenacity, determination, resolve, resolution, resoluteness, staying power, purposefulness, firmness of purpose, patience, endurance, application, diligence, sedulousness, dedication, commitment, doggedness, persistency, pertinacity, assiduity, assiduousness, steadfastness, tirelessness, indefatigability, staminaView synonyms
- ‘I can't honestly imagine anyone having the sitzfleisch to wade through a 250-page comic novel by an unknown writer on the internet.’
- ‘Luck, combined with what my mother called sitzfleisch, the capacity to persevere, played an overwhelming role.’
- ‘The good player - one who plays with positive expectation - does so because he or she plays basic, disciplined poker, has excellent concentration, and has sitzfleisch.’
From German, from sitzen ‘sit’ + Fleisch ‘flesh’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.