One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bath in which only the buttocks and hips are immersed in water.
- ‘This fluid was then allowed to cool to 35-37 C. Each evening before sleep, the patients took a sitz bath in this medicinal fluid.’
- ‘Rectal sores may be treated by doing a sitz bath two or three times a day.’
- ‘Daily sitz baths should begin on the first postoperative day.’
- ‘We recommend the use of sitz baths and an analgesic such as ibuprofen.’
- ‘The extract can also be used in sitz baths for treating hemorrhoids.’
Mid 19th century: partial translation of German Sitzbad, from sitzen ‘sit’ + Bad ‘bath’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.