One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A room in a house in which people can sit down and relax.
living room, lounge, front room, drawing room, morning room, reception room, salon, family roomView synonyms
- ‘The master suite features his and hers sitting rooms, one of which was turned into a large closet.’
- ‘They have two sitting rooms that allow male and female visitors to be separated as stipulated by the faith.’
- ‘Whispers of an imminent betrothal were shared up with tea and biscuits in sitting rooms across London.’
- ‘Theatre companies are staging productions in nightclubs, pubs and sitting rooms.’
- ‘Within the confines of modern homes, formal sitting rooms seem like a waste of space.’
- ‘Ronnie Wood ambles through the French windows into one of the sitting rooms of his sprawling house on the edge of London.’
- ‘People who watched the videos liked the familiar and popular shows in their sitting rooms but would welcome mobile TV content that is suitable for short and occasional viewing.’
- ‘Now derelict, the stone property has planning permission to be restored as a four-bedroom home, with one bathroom, two sitting rooms, a dining room and a fitted kitchen.’
- ‘Wallpaper used to be reserved for conference centres, cheap motels and suburban sitting rooms.’
- ‘They pass through bedrooms with tiny beds, sitting rooms, a dining room, until they come to the room where Proust slept as a boy.’
- ‘The three floors above the chapels were bedrooms and sitting rooms for visitors.’
- ‘Images of these events are seen in people's sitting rooms all over the world.’
- ‘It is the size of a small city, with three pools and open-air sitting rooms where guests can make themselves at home.’
- ‘It is frequently necessary for us to use electric lighting in our sitting rooms in daytime even in midsummer.’
- ‘Paul is an accomplished artist whose unique work adorns many sitting rooms and hotel lobbies throughout the country.’
- ‘All the bedrooms and studies and sitting rooms were of Chinese style while the dining rooms, lounges and bathrooms were Western.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.