One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Avoid making a decision or choice.
undecided, uncommitted, uncertain, unsure, vacillating, wavering, dithering, hesitant, tentative, doubtful, irresolute, ambivalent, torn, in two minds, in a dilemma, on the horns of a dilemma, in a quandaryView synonyms
- ‘If that brings to mind a lot of dithering and sitting on the fence, you couldn't be more wrong.’
- ‘‘Ron has never been one for sitting on the fence when it comes to an opinion,’ Townsend says.’
- ‘They want someone to make all their choices for them, so they just sit on the fence and wait to be told what to do.’
- ‘We shall be sitting on the fence until it becomes law.’
- ‘But he's going to make change and he's going to bring a lot of confidence to a lot of people who are sitting on the fence with the same decision.’
- ‘You should make a decision; you cannot sit on the fence.’
- ‘Sometimes a decision is required and there's no option to sit on the fence.’
- ‘It was still going to be my decision and my decision was going to be that we would not sit on the fence.’
- ‘Everyone is sitting on the fence on this and we're the first group to come out.’
- ‘As someone who has deferred the choice thus far (rather than actively making a decision), I know I could be accused of sitting on the fence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.