One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take no action in order to prevent something undesirable from occurring.‘I'm not going to sit by and let an innocent man go to jail’
- ‘If he sits by and lets martial law happen without objecting strongly, his political career will be over.’
- ‘I was sitting by with the kids as this scene came up, prepared to talk it over with them as necessary.’
- ‘Sandler approaches nervously, Nicholson cheers him on, and Graham sits by oblivious.’
- ‘Most of the saner ones from amongst my readers would have realized that I did not sit by all day trying to count all these.’
- ‘What does it say when the Government sits by impotently when a star witness is gunned down in broad daylight on the Bulgarian Supreme Court steps?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.