One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a polygamous society) any of the women married to the same man.‘her mother and her sister wives live in different homes’
- ‘A woman who claims her husband ruined their marriage by bringing in another sister wife will be leading demonstrators at the trial of a polygamist leader this month.’
- ‘Brown has a civil marriage with only one of his wives; the rest are sister wives, not formally wedded.’
- ‘Ruth is a sister wife to Barlow and mother of six who has been in Canada 11 years.’
- ‘She pestered her husband to take Elizabeth as a sister wife.’
- ‘Carmen and her kids shared a home with one or more of the sister wives and their children.’
- ‘Occasionally, one wife will act as midwife and help deliver their sister wife's baby.’
- ‘Vicky, a Salt Lake City woman and former sister wife, said religious doctrine plays a huge role in keeping women in polygamous relationships.’
- ‘They are not only sister wives; they are sisters married to the same man.’
- ‘It would be hard to imagine the man actually being the boss in a house of sister wives.’
- ‘Often, jealous older wives make life hell for their sister wives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.