One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A city that is twinned with another.
- ‘The sister city agreement between the two cities started in 1986 and there have been several projects undertaken over the years.’
- ‘One day, an ambassador came to our House, a merchant from Ched Nasad, our sister city.’
- ‘The sister city relationship between Dingle and Santa Barbara will help strengthen mutual understanding and promote friendly relations between both towns.’
- ‘I mentioned the efforts of San Diego Rotary Club that resulted in their home town becoming a sister city of Jalalabad.’
- ‘Steves notes Richmond has always had a good relationship with its sister city Wakayama.’
- ‘The students come from Yamato-Takada, Lismore's sister city.’
- ‘From Dubai we drove for ten minutes to its sister city of Sharjah - a graceful modern urban centre with an eastern flavour.’
- ‘Marseille became the sister city of Shanghai in 1987.’
- ‘‘Jakarta is an important sister city, with which Rotterdam enjoys an excellent relationship,’ the Mayor said in a statement.’
- ‘Ambon's had a long relationship with Darwin as a sister city - links nurtured through education, agricultural exchanges, and an annual yacht race - a major regional sporting event.’
- ‘He established the first sister city exchange ever in Australia between Lismore and Yamato-Takada.’
- ‘Council agreed Monday to forge ahead with a proposal to select a third sister city, this time in the Shanghai area of China.’
- ‘But if our sister city was under attack, why had we not sent help?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.