Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large aquatic plant-eating mammal of the order "Sirenia" , such as a manatee or dugong.
- ‘All living sirenians are found in warm tropical and subtropical waters.’
- ‘Modern sirenians are large, docile, aquatic herbivores.’
- ‘The remaining sirenians, are seriously threatened by hunting, habitat degradation, and in the case of manatees, collisions with boats in the shallow coastal areas they prefer.’
- ‘To understand isotopic variation in Florida sirenians, we selected four teeth for serial sampling.’
Relating to or denoting sirenians.
- ‘The hyrax - elephant - sirenian core is well-accepted on morphological grounds.’
- ‘Corystosiren is a late-surviving dugong at a time when sirenian fossils are exceedingly rare in Florida.’
- ‘This may have supported a strong, fleshy lip with which Thalassocnus grazed seagrass or kelp, much like manatees and their sirenian relatives.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.