Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A one-piece garment for the whole body which is easily put on or taken off, originally designed for use in air-raid shelters.
- ‘They had only the clothes they stood up in, which were green siren suits.’
- ‘It became routine for Mum to get us into our siren suits and tuck us up into the bunk in the shelter each night.’
- ‘See inside the many and varied views of the great war leader who became renowned for his fondness for cigars, siren suits, hats and victory salutes.’
- ‘Churchill broadcasted to the nation in his famous ‘siren suit’.’
- ‘The girl dressed in what pre-war we would have called a boiler suit and would later be described as a siren suit.’
- ‘We would get up in the middle of the night, I would be dressed in my specially made purple siren suit and we then went down into the shelter.’
- ‘We were snug in our siren suits and were quietly playing, with one ear on the bangs, bumps and thuds that seemed to grow nearer.’
- ‘I never gave it much thought, but if I had to describe a grandfather he would have been a loving and much-loved man, dressed in a siren suit.’
- ‘Our siren suits were made of army surplus blankets and occasionally there was parachute silk to make underwear.’
- ‘The war had a dramatic effect on women's fashion. Women started to compromise by wearing overalls, dungarees, trousers, siren suits and making their own clothes.’
- ‘During the war military styling influenced the women's fashion; they wore anything from trousers to one-piece siren suits.’
- ‘Winston Churchill started the fashion for siren suits.’
- ‘Until the mid-1960s the siren suits were sewn in blue or red cotton or poplin with flannel lining.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.