One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colonial marine coelenterate of the order "Siphonophora" , such as a Portuguese man-of-war.
- ‘Complex, highly integrated colonies, such as siphonophores, display a well defined colony shape with determinate growth.’
- ‘Some siphonophores may reach lengths of over a meter and migrate up to 300 meters vertically in the water column in an hour.’
- ‘The siphonophores have achieved a degree of integration such that they are often regarded as solitary organisms in spite of their colonial organization.’
- ‘Chondrophorines were once classified with another unusual group of hydrozoans, the siphonophores.’
- ‘Evolutionary developmental innovations important for colonial integration have evolved independently in many colonial hydrozoans, and are displayed both in Hydractinia and in more advanced forms of siphonophores.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.