One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A variety of English spoken in Singapore, incorporating elements of Chinese and Malay.
- ‘The article about how the Singapore government tries to control Singlish reminds me of the stories of the residential schools across Canada that uniformly forbade First Nation's youth from speaking their own languages.’
- ‘This guide to Singlish, colloquial English as spoken in Singapore, should come in handy for reading Xiaxue.’
- ‘Singapore director Cheek's dialogue presents an interesting mixture of Chinese dialect, English, Singlish and a dose of Shakespeare.’
- ‘The problem of Singaporeans speaking Singlish started to attract attention last year amid the rising popularity of several television sitcoms that used characters who speak glaring Singlish.’
- ‘Check out these interesting links he provides on Singlish, the English/Chinese/Malay pastiche spoken in Singapore.’
2A variety of English spoken in Sri Lanka, incorporating elements of Sinhala.
- ‘Singlish is also the term used for the English spoken by many of the English/Sinhala speakers in Sri Lanka.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.