One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fighting between two people.‘he defeated the enemy champion in single combat’
affair of honour, mano-a-manoView synonyms
- ‘The English knights knew their only chance was to break the Scottish formation - so they tried to draw individuals into single combat.’
- ‘The parties, or champions on their behalf, would fight in formal single combat and the winner would be deemed to be the successful party in the case.’
- ‘The soldiers were trained relentlessly in fighting in formation with different types of weapons, and also single combat.’
- ‘The tournament in this period was no carefully regulated single combat, but a great mêlée involving hundreds of knights, mimicking and rehearsing for warfare.’
- ‘Although gladiators were clearly Roman, the values presented in gladiatorial single combat were central to Greek culture as well as to Roman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.