One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fighting between two people.‘he defeated the enemy champion in single combat’
affair of honour, mano-a-manoView synonyms
- ‘Although gladiators were clearly Roman, the values presented in gladiatorial single combat were central to Greek culture as well as to Roman.’
- ‘The parties, or champions on their behalf, would fight in formal single combat and the winner would be deemed to be the successful party in the case.’
- ‘The soldiers were trained relentlessly in fighting in formation with different types of weapons, and also single combat.’
- ‘The tournament in this period was no carefully regulated single combat, but a great mêlée involving hundreds of knights, mimicking and rehearsing for warfare.’
- ‘The English knights knew their only chance was to break the Scottish formation - so they tried to draw individuals into single combat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.