One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A road with only one lane in each direction.
- ‘Just under half of all road deaths occur on the national road network which accounts for approximately 47% of vehicular traffic and 91% of fatal collisions on the national road network occur on single carriageways.’
- ‘At that point, the road is a single carriageway with one lane in either direction, the lanes being divided by double central white lines.’
- ‘Restricting York's northern ring road to a single carriageway was one of the biggest planning blunders in recent memory.’
- ‘The day was clear and there was no other traffic on the single carriageway, national speed limit road.’
- ‘Driving at 60 mph on a single carriageway can be pretty nerve-racking.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.