One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without help from anyone else.‘Michael single-handedly transformed the team’‘the first woman to sail single-handedly around the world’
- ‘To hear his admirers tell it, he single-handedly rescued the network in the 1980s with his uncanny gift for finding quality shows.’
- ‘He has almost single-handedly kept his sculpture in view.’
- ‘Dick Tracy is the ultimate good-guy cop of the 1940s trying single-handedly to bring down the mob.’
- ‘He would more or less single-handedly usher in the performance-art phase of the New York counterculture.’
- ‘His inaction almost single-handedly prolonged the war for the North.’
- ‘His first mentor was a man who single-handedly destroyed a genre to rebuild it on his own terms.’
- ‘He gave an unforgettable performance, single-handedly rescuing the movie.’
- ‘She single-handedly engages in a spectacular mud fight with a gang of boys who invade her garden.’
- ‘He has single-handedly taken on the group of thieves, chasing them by train.’
- ‘His films have single-handedly defined the zombie genre.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.