Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Wicked and immoral; committing or characterized by the committing of sins.‘sinful men’‘a sinful way of life’
immoral, wicked, wrong, morally wrong, wrongful, evil, bad, iniquitous, corrupt, ungodly, godless, unholy, irreligious, unrighteous, sacrilegious, profane, blasphemous, impious, irreverent, criminal, nefarious, depraved, degenerate, perverted, erring, fallen, impure, sullied, taintedView synonyms
- ‘The City of Man is a world of profound imperfection, peopled by fallen, sinful beings who can only hope for ultimate citizenship in the City of God through an earthly life of piety.’
- ‘The Talmud thus teaches us that corruption is not only wrong and sinful, but actually unnatural.’
- ‘Leading another person into a sinful action is wrong and also sinful.’
- ‘Because of the corruption of human reason, which took place in the Fall, humanity has a tendency, not merely to err, but to make wicked, sinful choices.’
- ‘We may believe that His saving work is so effective that there is no sin that cannot be forgiven and no sinner too sinful to be cleansed.’
- ‘Thus Ash Wednesday helps worshiping believers confront our sinful nature as we recall our mortality.’
- ‘But we live in a fallen, sinful world in which sin invades family units as it does all other aspects of society.’
- ‘Their views are the result of a fallen and sinful human nature, of rampant egotism and arrogance, and nothing more.’
- ‘We are dealing not with angelic beings but with fallen, sinful human nature.’
- ‘Whenever God manifests himself to sinful man through the Holy Spirit, it means condemnation for the flesh.’
- ‘Certainly, the real reason man lives wickedly or violently is his corrupt sinful nature.’
- ‘It is the difference between the authority of the inspired, inerrant Word of God and that of unbelieving, sinful man.’
- ‘The scale indicates the degree to which respondents feel that the world and the people in it are evil or sinful.’
- ‘I am not saying we are more sinful or more evil than previous generations, but that we are more modern.’
- ‘Once Adam disobeyed God, however, we became a fallen and sinful race living in a cursed world.’
- ‘Do not quench it by foolish unbelief and sinful defiance of our loving Saviour.’
- ‘Or it may come as we face the battle against fallen, sinful desires within our own hearts.’
- ‘Galatians 6:7-8 tells us that in time we shall reap corruption from our sinful habits.’
- ‘Instead of the hymns of the Vedas to Brahma, embrace the righteous conduct of Dharma, and renounce sinful actions.’
- ‘Faraday had been brought up to believe that people, though capable of many good things, are basically corrupt and sinful.’
- 1.1 Highly reprehensible.‘a sinful waste’
reprehensible, scandalous, disgraceful, deplorable, shameful, criminal, iniquitousView synonyms
- ‘As if I'm wasting time and its sinful to waste anything.’
- ‘This does not mean that those who publish, who do research, and who become nationally renowned are thereby and for those reasons corrupt or sinful.’
- ‘And the public desire for scandal is itself sinful.’
- ‘Now there is nothing immediately sinful about the process except that it probably wastes a lot of research time.’
- ‘We should have sympathy for such a person, but that does not change the fact that his position is objectively wrong and sinful.’
- ‘Oh, it's fine for her to waste food on a level I can only describe as sinful but God forbid we should be wasting light bulbs or toilet paper.’
- ‘Everyone took turns yelling at and reprimanding Venus for her unhealthy, sinful, and deplorable actions.’
Old English synfull (see sin, -ful).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.