Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A short or simple symphony.
- ‘Still, in loveliness, this utility sinfonietta is not surpassed by many.’
- ‘In the liner notes to the recording, Jacob likens his work to ‘a miniature symphony or sinfonietta,’ mainly because the movements show the bare bones of symphonic classical forms.’
- 1.1 A small symphony orchestra:[as name] ‘the Bournemouth Sinfonietta’
- ‘The National Youth Orchestra has chosen the prestigious festival as one of the events to unveil its newly-established sinfonietta.’
- ‘The sinfonietta is currently on a European tour which will also take it to Slovakia this month.’
Italian, diminutive of sinfonia (see sinfonia).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.