Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(with reference to business or proceedings that have been adjourned) with no appointed date for resumption.‘the case was adjourned sine die’
for an unspecified period, for an unspecified time, for an unlimited period, for an unlimited time, without a fixed limitView synonyms
- ‘The Texas Legislature adjourned sine die this afternoon, formally ending the 7th special session in two and a half years.’
- ‘The Legislature of the State of New Jersey adjourned sine die at noon to-day.’
- ‘Parliament was adjourned sine die on a sombre note on Monday, four days ahead of the scheduled end of the monsoon session.’
- ‘In the event of vetoes or crises, the Senate President shall be empowered to suspend sine die adjournment for a period up to one week for purposes of reconvening the Senate.’
- ‘Parliament is likely to be adjourned sine die Thursday, according to reliable sources.’
Latin, literally without a day.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.