One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A display in which a player plays a number of games simultaneously against different opponents.
- ‘At another place, the organizer could not be found until a few minutes before the start of the simul.’
- ‘In addition to various simuls and lectures, Karpov played a couple of exhibition matches against the local talent.’
- ‘Included are games Alekhine played in a simul and giving odds!’
- ‘Several dozens chess masters gave simuls.’
- ‘And that's probably just as well, since he's still strong enough to take on most of his contemporaries in a simul!’
1960s: abbreviation of simultaneous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.