One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the basic mechanical devices for applying a force, such as an inclined plane, wedge, or lever.
- ‘It also includes information about ferries, simple machines, whales, and computers among other scientific ideas.’
- ‘You build a simple machine which applies a gradually increasing force F to the centre of the beam while it is supported at its ends in a horizontal position.’
- ‘The six simple machines are the primary machines that can be found in even the most complex machines.’
- ‘The earliest treatise in mechanics, the Mechanical Problems ascribed to Aristotle, begins with problems having to do with a simple machine, the lever.’
- ‘Bandwidth, coupled with compression technologies, will be the coin of the realm, and if Archimedes were alive today, he would immediately recognize it as the lever in his simple machine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.