Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Oscillatory motion under a retarding force proportional to the amount of displacement from an equilibrium position.
- ‘Do you honestly think physicists study waves and simple harmonic motion and two body problems because we care about the universe?’
- ‘In this issue we discover the principle of simple harmonic motion.’
- ‘The equation for simple harmonic motion contains a complete description of the motion, and other parameters of the motion can be calculated from it…’
- ‘The cycloid has the property that a particle P sliding on a cycloid will exhibit simple harmonic motion and the period will be independent of the starting point.’
- ‘The cannonball would exhibit simple harmonic motion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.