A fracture of the bone only, without damage to the surrounding tissues or breaking of the skin.
- ‘Usually, an injury results in a single fracture, and is known as a simple fracture.’
- ‘There are people dying for no apparent reason after coming in as outpatients, or inpatients dying of things that shouldn't kill them, like simple fractures.’
- ‘The units are staffed to treat people with injuries such as cuts, bruises, sprains and simple fractures.’
- ‘For example, never dismiss a greenstick fracture as a simple fracture - inspect the x ray for tiny shards of bone.’
- ‘A simple fracture is one in which the overlying skin and soft tissue is intact and only the bone is significantly injured.’