One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A silly or foolish person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘My problem should now seem evident to even the dimmest of simps.’
- ‘I'm not crazy about the 1978 ‘She's A Dog / I Can Change My Mind’ 45 that closes out this release, but you power pop simps may have some fun with it.’
- ‘All right, so this is all old news for you power punk simps, but this is a bandwagon I'm ready to climb on.’
- ‘Call me a weepy-eyed simp, but I believe that children are our future, if you define ‘future’ as ‘tiny personal slaves.’’
- ‘Would we be people of action, stepping up in the moment when we are most needed, or would we be cowering simps, hiding until the worst of it is over?’
Early 20th century: abbreviation of simpleton.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.