Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Hawaiian plant of the daisy family, which has long, narrow leaves with silvery hairs and clusters of purplish flowers.
- ‘The long-term goal of the foundation and its partners is to reintroduce 15,000 to 20,000 silverswords on both Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.’
- ‘Of the many endangered plant species in the Hawaiian Islands, silverswords have the highest profile due to their radiant beauty and the severity of the threats confronting them.’
- ‘The major threat to the recovery of silverswords (and many other endangered plant species in Hawaii) continues to be alien ungulates.’
- ‘Hawaii has similar ‘radiations’ of fruit flies and silversword plants, while St. Helena is overloaded with ferns and weevils.’
- ‘The cooperative efforts for the recovery of the Hawaiian silversword, as described in volumes 13, 23, and 25 of the Endangered Species Bulletin, are exactly what are needed for the numerous other endangered Hawaiian plants.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.