One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Made of or coloured silver.
- ‘He put the silvern tray onto the nightstand table.’
- ‘Yet countervailing this is a kind of silvern charm the moment he talks.’
- ‘Her hair was a pale, silvern blond.’
- ‘Although both girls had unusual eyes and silvern blond hair, no one would have mistaken one for the other.’
- ‘They stepped out again into a silvern meadow.’
Old English seolfren, silfren (see silver, -n).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.