One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mature male mountain gorilla, which is distinguished by an area of white or silvery hair across the back and is the dominant member of its social group.
- ‘Then another gorilla shows up below her, this one a silverback, or mature male, that appears to weigh at least 400 pounds.’
- ‘The gorillas are big silverbacks; one male, a bunch of females and quite a few cute little youngsters rolling around.’
- ‘Then a female gorilla, followed by one of the silverbacks, began to climb up the trunk.’
- ‘Families are headed by a silverback (mature adult male) and usually include a harem of three of four adult females and their respective offspring.’
- ‘If confronted by a hunter, silverbacks may stay behind and position themselves between the hunter and the fleeing gorilla family.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.