Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mature male mountain gorilla, which is distinguished by an area of white or silvery hair across the back and is the dominant member of its social group.
- ‘If confronted by a hunter, silverbacks may stay behind and position themselves between the hunter and the fleeing gorilla family.’
- ‘The gorillas are big silverbacks; one male, a bunch of females and quite a few cute little youngsters rolling around.’
- ‘Families are headed by a silverback (mature adult male) and usually include a harem of three of four adult females and their respective offspring.’
- ‘Then a female gorilla, followed by one of the silverbacks, began to climb up the trunk.’
- ‘Then another gorilla shows up below her, this one a silverback, or mature male, that appears to weigh at least 400 pounds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.