One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A South African tree which has light silvery-green leaves covered with very fine down.
Leucadendron argenteum, family Proteaceae
- ‘Sitting on the coffee table was a small sculpture of a silver tree.’
- ‘He was first to spot the silver tree while he was walking into school.’
- ‘The Klipspruit West school was presented with a trophy, resembling a silver tree, a framed copy of their winning poster, a certificate - and a cheque for R90 000 to be used to beautify the school grounds.’
- ‘Bare silver tree trunks beckon you into the lost world of hooded cormorants, stone curlews, crimson dragonflies and rare herbs that inhabit the Bolata marsh.’
- ‘He is now close on 80, still climbing mountains and co-responsible for rehabilitating Vlakkenberg Ridge, just south of Constantia Nek, with silver trees and other indigenous plants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.