One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A South African tree which has light silvery-green leaves covered with very fine down.
Leucadendron argenteum, family Proteaceae
- ‘Bare silver tree trunks beckon you into the lost world of hooded cormorants, stone curlews, crimson dragonflies and rare herbs that inhabit the Bolata marsh.’
- ‘Sitting on the coffee table was a small sculpture of a silver tree.’
- ‘He is now close on 80, still climbing mountains and co-responsible for rehabilitating Vlakkenberg Ridge, just south of Constantia Nek, with silver trees and other indigenous plants.’
- ‘He was first to spot the silver tree while he was walking into school.’
- ‘The Klipspruit West school was presented with a trophy, resembling a silver tree, a framed copy of their winning poster, a certificate - and a cheque for R90 000 to be used to beautify the school grounds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.