One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elderly person who is a regular or enthusiastic user of the Internet.
- ‘Thank you for your newsletter, as it helps a ' silver surfer ' like me to get by with the day-to-day computing tasks.’
- ‘Despite the emergence of silver surfers - pensioners who spend time online - there are still two in every five households which do not have the internet.’
- ‘It has also attracted a number of "silver surfers" - people over the age of 50 developing new skills by learning online.’
- ‘They tend to outnumber the ' silver surfers ' by quite a lot.’
- ‘The current generation of "silver surfers" spends an average of six hours online each week, research by the insurance company AXA found.’
- ‘He is one of the silver surfers taking part in a new computer course at Margaret Ward Court on Wellfield Street.’
- ‘We don't like being portrayed officially as dodderers with sticks and bent backs who are a menace on the roads and we object to patronising jokes about silver surfers.’
- ‘Could this silver surfer of the cyberspaceways be an RSS man-mountain?’
- ‘Search engines, shopping and pornography are the three most common websites that are visited by silver surfers.’
- ‘This rise in silver surfers mirrors a similar increase in the UK.’
- ‘From offensive road signs to bad jokes about silver surfers, age discrimination is one of the besetting problems of our times’
- ‘Grey-haired internet users - known as silver surfers - will become the dominant group using the worldwide web by the end of the year, according to online analysts Hitwise.’
- ‘Another 19 percent are what he called "silver surfers," elderly passengers who want to visit family and friends and often travel during nonpeak periods.’
- ‘I hope this may encourage any other "silver surfers" to experiment.’
- ‘Heather Hopkins, of Hitwise, said: "It's phenomenal how quickly silver surfers have increased in numbers."’
- ‘Grandmother Margaret Haugh has become a "silver surfer" - to watch a yacht sail the wrong way around the world.’
- ‘Now a confirmed silver surfer, Mr Leng admitted he does sometimes have trouble with attachments.’
- ‘Conversely he is very careful where he goes and what he does online, as is the way perhaps of silver surfers.’
- ‘The internet is now dominated by silver surfers who spend more time online than any other group, according to a comprehensive study by the communications watchdog.’
- ‘His efforts are the result of close co-operation with a trio of silver surfers who read each chapter as it was written to see if they could keep up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.