One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British Foil made of aluminium or other silver-coloured metal.
- ‘But I didn't expect him to give me a rectangular box wrapped in silver paper with a card reading the name Keith.’
- ‘In those far off days I used bits of bird feather, rabbit fur and silver paper wrapped around a hook.’
- ‘‘Look,’ she said, touching it with both her hands to emphasise the point, ‘it's wrapped in silver paper.’’
- ‘Add a strip of silver paper to cover flame edges.’
- ‘Louise began experimenting with different materials in an attempt to bring the outdoors inside, graduating from silver paper to specialist hobby paints.’
2archaic Fine white tissue paper.
- ‘There is a tariff on papers known commercially as copying paper, filtering paper, silver paper, and tissue paper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.