One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A maple of eastern North America having leaves with silvery undersides.
Acer saccharinum, family Aceraceae
- ‘Floodplain forest is thick with green ash, American elm, sycamore, cottonwood, and silver maple, with box elder near the water's edge.’
- ‘A tornado obliterated a 461-point silver maple in Polk County, Iowa.’
- ‘For example, a pine or fast-growing hardwood like silver maple doesn't take up as much carbon for its size as oaks do.’
- ‘This condition is most common in pin oak and silver maple but can occur in many other tree and shrub species.’
- ‘Other species such as the silver maple are known to have weak wood that is susceptible to damage in ice storms or heavy winds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.