One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Magnificent presentation swords, in silver gilt and even gold, were given in large quantities to naval and military heroes.’
- ‘The original was lost to the nation in 1900, but the Nelson Society sees 2005 as the ideal time to restore to the public one of Nelson's Naval Gold Medals - albeit a reproduction in gold, silver gilt and bronze gilt.’
- ‘However, for the prince, display was an essential function of silver and silver gilt as he aped the mania of his rival Napoleon for silver gilt and gilt bronze.’
- ‘Then, in 1900, the Havemeyers commissioned Tiffany to produce an unusual punch bowl with three silver and glass ladles suspended from glass hooks of iridescent gold Favrile glass and silver gilt, in a fluid design of wave motifs.’
- ‘The bowl is silver gilt, and various elements, including sand, seaweed, and fish, are gilded.’
- 1.1 An imitation gilding of yellow lacquer over silver leaf.
- ‘The silver gilt trophy, which was awarded for the 1767 Richmond Gold Cup race, stands nearly 19 inches tall and weighs 132 ounces.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.