One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fir tree with foliage that appears silvery or bluish because of whitish lines on the undersides of the needles.
- ‘He notes carefully the distinctive qualities of particular specimens of goldcup oak, Douglas spruce, yellow pine, silver fir, and sequoia.’
- ‘The site is in the Dinaric region and is typical of silver fir/beech forests in Slovenia.’
- ‘Turning inland again, we went towards Daisetsuzan National Park, where we walked in a graceful forest of birch and silver fir close to Lake Shikaribetsu.’
- ‘From the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge in Florida, where the red mangrove presides, to Olympic National Park in Washington, home of the Pacific silver fir, our public lands are a great place to grow up if you want to be a champ.’
- ‘The Olympics are also home to the biggest western hemlock, subalpine and Pacific silver fir, Alaska-cedar, and Englemana spruce.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.