Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for ponga
- ‘These views were punctuated by cascading waterfalls, silver ferns, and a couple of wicker birds.’
- ‘The walk there and back took us through some beautiful bush with huge silver ferns, beach trees, pungas, pohutakawa, cabbage trees and palms.’
2A stylized fern leaf in silver, as an emblem of New Zealand.
- ‘Her flag design - she's onto a second version now - incorporates the kiwi and the silver fern.’
- ‘He knew he'd earn his silver fern, because there were 18 games on tour.’
- ‘I think I'll start a lobby group to have the national flag changed to a black background with a silver fern.’
- ‘Among them will be our Kiwi contingent, proudly sporting the silver fern.’
- ‘The results of the Canterbury team reflected the commitment of the contestants for the competition in their quest to wear the silver fern for New Zealand in St. Gallen.’
wear the silver fern
informal Be a member of an international New Zealand sports team.‘the girls are honoured to be wearing the silver fern for the first time’
- ‘The results reflected the commitment of the contestants for the competition in their quest to wear the silver fern for New Zealand.’
- ‘Your sons have the same opportunity to wear the silver fern that you've had.’
- ‘I am truly honoured to represent such a prestigious country and will take pride in wearing the silver fern.’
- ‘If she is unable to follow in her father's footsteps and wear the silver fern, she will represent Italy at the Olympics.’
- ‘The youngster can wear the silver fern through having Kiwi parents.’
- ‘I'm so proud to be a New Zealander and wear the silver fern.’
- ‘These guys are wearing the silver fern, they're putting their marker in the ground and are saying "I'm here to represent my country".’
- ‘What New Zealander will not be almost as tense as those wearing the silver fern when they compete under the most severe physical and mental pressure?’
- ‘Those who are mentally and physically ready to wear the silver fern are given a chance to prove themselves.’
- ‘He first wore the silver fern on New Zealand's 2002 European tour but was quickly discarded after just two caps.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.