One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for ponga
- ‘The walk there and back took us through some beautiful bush with huge silver ferns, beach trees, pungas, pohutakawa, cabbage trees and palms.’
- ‘These views were punctuated by cascading waterfalls, silver ferns, and a couple of wicker birds.’
2A stylized fern leaf in silver, as an emblem of New Zealand.
- ‘He knew he'd earn his silver fern, because there were 18 games on tour.’
- ‘Among them will be our Kiwi contingent, proudly sporting the silver fern.’
- ‘The results of the Canterbury team reflected the commitment of the contestants for the competition in their quest to wear the silver fern for New Zealand in St. Gallen.’
- ‘Her flag design - she's onto a second version now - incorporates the kiwi and the silver fern.’
- ‘I think I'll start a lobby group to have the national flag changed to a black background with a silver fern.’
wear the silver fern
informal Be a member of an international New Zealand sports team.‘the girls are honoured to be wearing the silver fern for the first time’
- ‘These guys are wearing the silver fern, they're putting their marker in the ground and are saying "I'm here to represent my country".’
- ‘Your sons have the same opportunity to wear the silver fern that you've had.’
- ‘The results reflected the commitment of the contestants for the competition in their quest to wear the silver fern for New Zealand.’
- ‘If she is unable to follow in her father's footsteps and wear the silver fern, she will represent Italy at the Olympics.’
- ‘What New Zealander will not be almost as tense as those wearing the silver fern when they compete under the most severe physical and mental pressure?’
- ‘I'm so proud to be a New Zealander and wear the silver fern.’
- ‘Those who are mentally and physically ready to wear the silver fern are given a chance to prove themselves.’
- ‘He first wore the silver fern on New Zealand's 2002 European tour but was quickly discarded after just two caps.’
- ‘The youngster can wear the silver fern through having Kiwi parents.’
- ‘I am truly honoured to represent such a prestigious country and will take pride in wearing the silver fern.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.