One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A framed silver-coloured disc awarded to a recording artist or group for sales of a recording exceeding a specified figure (lower than those required for a gold disc).
- ‘At the recent LMFM Radio Awards Gala Night, Thomas was thrilled to receive a stunning silver disc in recognition of his contribution to the country music scene to date’
- ‘Their first album, Salva Nos, released in 1997, went to number one in the classical charts, earning the girls a silver disc.’
- ‘And it becomes more than just me giving the record companies and the artists some money and them giving me a shiny, silver disc.’
- ‘OK, they gave me a silver disc but it's small consolation I can tell you.’
- ‘A BBC record album of the event (actually a different edit from both the radio and TV versions) was awarded a silver disc, racking up highly impressive sales figures for a comedy album.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.