One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A framed silver-coloured disc awarded to a recording artist or group for sales of a recording exceeding a specified figure (lower than those required for a gold disc).
- ‘Their first album, Salva Nos, released in 1997, went to number one in the classical charts, earning the girls a silver disc.’
- ‘A BBC record album of the event (actually a different edit from both the radio and TV versions) was awarded a silver disc, racking up highly impressive sales figures for a comedy album.’
- ‘OK, they gave me a silver disc but it's small consolation I can tell you.’
- ‘And it becomes more than just me giving the record companies and the artists some money and them giving me a shiny, silver disc.’
- ‘At the recent LMFM Radio Awards Gala Night, Thomas was thrilled to receive a stunning silver disc in recognition of his contribution to the country music scene to date’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.