Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Silver in colour or shade.‘silver-toned metal’
- ‘From a distance you can tell them apart because the clubs in the Performance line have a silver-toned face.’
- ‘Extremely lightweight, the bags feature a high quality silver-toned nylon liner.’
- ‘Also interesting in this image is the shiny, silver-toned band aligned in a north-to-south direction.’
- ‘Avoid anything too cool, like grays or silver-toned shades.’
- ‘The quilted leather dash and silver-toned trim are as glamorous as anything Mercedes has ever made.’
- ‘"In the last year, there has been a growing trend to incorporate silver-toned or brushed-nickel hardware in case goods collections," he said.’
- ‘From Christian Dior, these silver wrap-around sunglasses are crafted from silver-toned metal with graduated gray lenses.’
- ‘Available today is a variety of more ornate, silver-toned frames, including carved mouldings and wide, layered-look framing.’
- ‘His trainer was trotting through the backstretch, which, in that weather, gave the impression of a silver-toned daguerreotype from the course's opening in 1863.’
- ‘Ferns that are short, tall, medium green, silver-toned, wispy or leathery are being discovered at nurseries everywhere.’
2Clear and melodious.‘his silver-toned tenor’
- ‘He had a head for the law and a silver-toned voice for the jury.’
- ‘Women's voices, though, are clear and silver-toned.’
- ‘She has been praised by Opera News for her “delectably rich, silver-toned mezzo-soprano, with a beautiful sense of line and effortless rapid runs”.’
- ‘There's silver-toned guitar jangle, a gentle-sway rhythm and sleepy-stoned lyrics.’
- ‘The Bavarian State Opera production boasts one of the finest trios of Rosenkavalier ladies in Gwyneth Jones, Brigitte Fassbaender and the incomparably silver-toned Lucia Popp.’
- ‘The music of silver-toned bells filled the sky.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.