One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mouldable silicone-based substance, sold chiefly as a toy, which may stretch, shatter, or bounce sharply, depending on how it is manipulated.
- ‘In my lecture I tell the story of how Silly Putty was invented (a World War II experiment to create a synthetic rubber gone awry.)’
- ‘Yes, it had some snack and coffee machines, but he also added some things specifically intended to relieve stress: Silly Putty, a dartboard, a videogame, a TV, and some magazines.’
- ‘He kneaded Silly Putty to strengthen his hands and wrists.’
- ‘A popular product that uses a silicon-based inorganic polymer is Silly Putty.’
- ‘With over 300 million sold, it's also one of the most loved toys of all time - Silly Putty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.