One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A silly or foolish person.‘don't be a silly billy’
nincompoop, dunce, simpletonView synonyms
- ‘The dressing stations will be busy enough without having to patch up silly billies who didn't wear sensible shoes.’
- ‘On it was a picture of a rabbit with extremely large teeth saying, ‘Don't be a silly billy and floss your teeth’.’
- ‘This is a very good alternative crop for farmers and I do not want it to be jeopardised by some silly billies in society.’
- ‘The ‘silly billy’ was rewarded with the Bunker Banana Booby for this slip.’
- ‘There's plenty more punning jokes like that, spouting from the crooked mouth of Harrogate Theatre's dimple-cheeky silly billy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.