One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A silly or foolish person.‘don't be a silly billy’
nincompoop, dunce, simpletonView synonyms
- ‘This is a very good alternative crop for farmers and I do not want it to be jeopardised by some silly billies in society.’
- ‘There's plenty more punning jokes like that, spouting from the crooked mouth of Harrogate Theatre's dimple-cheeky silly billy.’
- ‘The ‘silly billy’ was rewarded with the Bunker Banana Booby for this slip.’
- ‘On it was a picture of a rabbit with extremely large teeth saying, ‘Don't be a silly billy and floss your teeth’.’
- ‘The dressing stations will be busy enough without having to patch up silly billies who didn't wear sensible shoes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.