Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A screen of fine mesh used in screen printing.
- ‘It is a serigraph created by using more than 60 silk screens to give it an exquisite finish typical of a fine art image.’
- ‘Evocative images of these three women have been printed onto translucent silk screens, which sway from the outside breeze.’
- ‘An original print is a work of art which an artist creates by processing a woodblock, or a lithographic stone or plate, or a silk screen so that more than one identical image can be printed from it..’
- ‘is a technique whereby a cut stencil is attached to a silk screen of very fine mesh stretched on a wooden frame.’
- 1.1A print made by screen printing.‘these small silk screens sing with colour’
- ‘The children also took part in dance and drama activities, made dream catchers and created a silk screen about Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.’
- ‘Apart from anything else, his avuncular visage is no good at all for t-shirts and Warholian silk screens.’
- ‘Of contemporary artists, Lucien Freud is a wonderful printmaker, while Damien Hirst has produced large albums of silk screens.’
- ‘In Common Struggle, a series of silk screens on wood, two people fight with fists, chains, and cinderblocks.’
- ‘This exhibit consists of pen and ink drawings, silk screens and just a few posters from the past.’
[with object] Print, decorate, or reproduce using a silk screen.‘a brown and black silk-screened logo’
- ‘Paul Gauguin's Two Tahitian Women is silk-screened at each corner of the painting.’
- ‘Sometimes when a student silk-screened his or her portrait, the color was just wrong.’
- ‘They will silk-screen it onto their high-quality 100-percent-cotton tees and put it up on their site for purchase by friends, family, and the public at large.’
- ‘The recreated brush strokes are silk-screened one color at a time until the graphic reflects the painting to the artist's satisfaction.’
- ‘A conversion coating is applied and external parts are powder coated in one or two colors, silk-screened, and pad printed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.