Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Lung fibrosis caused by the inhalation of dust containing silica.
- ‘The breathing of coal and rock dust causes black lung, the common name given to the lung diseases pneumoconiosis and silicosis.’
- ‘In the concentration camp he had contracted silicosis, a lung disease similar to a combination of tuberculosis and emphysema from breathing in the fine dust that filtered through the cracks in the walls and floors.’
- ‘For those that don't know, silicosis is an occupational lung disease that can be fatal.’
- ‘He had worked in a brickyard for years and got silicosis from the dust in his lungs.’
- ‘Patients with silicosis are at increased risk of contracting tuberculosis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.